Freeway Estates Community Orchard (FECO) is located on Duwamish land. Today this 12,000 square foot plot, located next to Interstate 5 in the Green Lake neighborhood, is managed by the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) and leased to FECO.
In 2010, a small group of neighbors planted the first fruit trees and began transitioning the grass and invasive plants to planting guilds.
Today, FECO is a hub where neighbors and volunteers connect. We welcome everyone. No special skills are needed and we have tasks for all levels of ability.
Vision: Throughout Seattle, people adopt unimproved public land in order to increase its value to the community.
Mission: Freeway Estates Community Orchard (FECO) manages a highway right-of-way, producing healthy food for those in need and providing a destination for neighbors and visitors to connect with each other and also with the land.
• Provide all community members with the opportunity to connect, contribute, learn, share, and lead
• Prioritize outreach to neighbors without access to land in order to increase their representation in orchard and garden activities
• Spread leadership roles and responsibilities among volunteers to encourage deeper involvement from more community members
• Maintain a beautiful, safe, and welcoming space for visitors and volunteers to enjoy and to reflect upon nature and relationship to the land
• Display intentional land practices that support soil health, pollinator habitat, water conservation, and materials recycling
• Demonstrate gardening techniques aimed at providing fresh fruit and produce, the majority of which is donated for families in need
• Host celebratory events, educational workshops, and plant-related mentorships
If you are visiting the site and have an idea about how it can be more useful, don’t hesitate to leave a reply. We would be delighted if you want to become involved.
Served by buses:
26X – Northgate to Downtown, get off on Latona, at NE 60th
62 – Downtown to Sand Point via Fremont, get off on NE 65th, under I-5
45 – Crown Hill to UW Stadium, get off on NE 65th, under I-5
2021 20-Hour Club
Ruth, Sue, Ruby, Alec, Lyr, Jodi, Marilyn, Reid, Melody, Erik, West, Jake, Becky, Karin, Meg, Lee, Jennifer and Nancyc/o 608 NE 63rd St.
Seattle, WA 98115